Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Schedule/ Assignments for Scholar Skills Workshop

This is the Official Post for the schedule/assignments for our Scholar Skills Workshops - Check here often!
Oct. 15 - 
In Class
  • Time Management Tips - Habit # 1
  •  How to Participate and Lead a Colloquium - Habit #6
  • What does it mean to learn by faith?
 What to do to be prepared for class:

  • see previous post :)


Nov.12 - 
In Class

  • Colloquium Elder Bednar's talk on Learning by Faith
  • How to read like a Scholar
  • Digging Deep - what it means to gain depth in your studies and how to do it - Habit #3

What to do to be prepared for class:

  • Read Elder Bednars's talk and come prepared to discuss it in a colloquium. Here is the link: -http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?     vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=85f29cf12df64110VgnVCM100000176f620a____
  •  Write in your Scholar Journal your insights. Here are some questions to get you thinking and writing - Remember, there is nothing that isn't spiritual, even learning biology and history and reading classics. So this article applies to all of your scholarly studies.
    • What does it mean to learn by faith?
    • How does what Elder Bednar talk about apply to me as a scholar?
    • How can I apply these ideas to my studies?
    • What do I need to do to better learn by faith?
    • Why is it even important to learn by faith?
    • What specific things can I pray about/for to help me better learn by faith?
    • What exactly am I going to commit to do  - what action am I going to take to learn by faith?
    • What do I think about the idea of acting and not being acted upon? What kind of a scholar do I want to be and why would it be important for me to act and not be acted upon?  
  • Read and respond in your Scholar Journal -  Chapters 2 and 4 from Well Educated Mind

Dec. 17 -
 In Class
  • How Exactly Do I Look For and Record Connections, Patterns and Themes?  - Habits #4 and #5

What to do to be prepared for class:
  • Read and respond in your Scholar Journal -  Chapter 3 from Well Educated Mind
  • more TBA


***I'll keep adding to this post as I create our classes - I'm trying to teach with the Spirit and am making it up as I go :)  Keep checking here for the rest of the year

No comments:

Post a Comment